Maybe you have heard about Strawberry tree honey but you don’t know why it is important for your health or why it is too expensive compared with other kinds of honey.
Or also you may ask, why it is difficult to find it in most commercial markets?
Strawberry tree honey is created when wild honeybees collect nectar from the beautiful but rare evergreen shrub (arbutus unedo), known as the strawberry tree. Although this evergreen tree is not uncommon, there are few in the world, large enough to support wild beehives. Sardinia’s Mediterranean coast is home of an astonishing number of grand ancient strawberry trees wild hives. Strawberry tree honey has been used by Sardinians (the world’s oldest and healthiest population) since ancient times.
The flowering takes place in European Autumn, between October and November, and the white-yellow flowers are a great resource for honeybees, that use their nectar to make this superfood honey.
Generally, this variety has a dark pigment. It has a dark amber color, sometimes dark brown, sometimes with reddish reflexes. As it crystallizes, the color tones down and becomes mellower, a sort of paler, one or two shades lighter yellowish brown. It comes in different shades of caramel and cocoa brown and you never really get the exact same honey color.
The honey has a strong, pungent aroma and a mildly sweet taste at first, followed by a stronger, more persistent and overpowering bitterness, but with an unusually fine quality to it. There is also a slight astringency to the honey towards the end of the tasting process.
Strawberry tree honey also has a dense consistency that gives it a certain creamy texture. However, differences in taste may appear from one batch of honey to another. If the honey is sweeter, for example, it may be because of a higher content of nectar from other plants. Climate, weather conditions and other factors may influence its taste.
Despite its taste, strawberry tree honey has all the other honey health benefits.
There are some health benefits and good reasons why this honey is so popular:
1. This honey can be a powerful immune system booster. The main reason why this particular variety is so healthy is its strong antioxidant effects. Its antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties can help improve the digestive system and help you stay healthy and fight diseases.
Tip: Start every day with this cleansing tonic: before breakfast, mix a spoonful of Strawberry tree honey and half lemon juice into a cup of warm water and drink it.
2. Reduces allergies, because of its anti-inflammatory properties. This honey acts as a natural vaccine because it contains little amounts of pollen. Because of its anti-inflammatory and soothing effects, strawberry tree honey is great for respiratory tract infections in particular, but also for improving stomach conditions.
Tip: It can be consumed daily as it is or in tea for sore throat, cough, tonsillitis, etc. to reduce bacteria and inflammation and help to calm the irritated throat mucosa by forming a protective coating that allows the throat lining to heal.
It can help with stomach conditions as well.
Tip: eating this honey first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is said to help with stomach aches and discomfort, gastritis and even ulcers. Eating and drinking should be delayed for at least an hour after taking the honey.
It can help as an anti-inflammatory for the Skin.
Tip: Applied on the skin as a face mask, strawberry tree honey can help improve skin appearance, restore brightness and smoothness and even prevent more severe acne breakouts.
3. Prevents cancer and heart disease. It is another food that can help to prevent or fight cancer because it has carcinogen-preventing properties and can help to fight the growth of existing tumors. It contains flavonoids and antioxidants which help to reduce the risk of some cancers and heart diseases. It is special to fight colon cancer because it has cytotoxic properties against human colon adenocarcinoma.
4. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It naturally contains hydrogen peroxide, an antiseptic. Strawberry tree honey is one of the varieties of honey with the strongest natural antibacterial properties. In addition to hydrogen peroxide, low moisture content and acidity, all of which inhibit bacteria growth and help reduce bacteria numbers, the honey owes part of its antimicrobial action to antioxidants as well. Honey assist to improve wound healing time by reducing bacterial load. This honey could help combat urinary tract infections and other infections.
5. Improves asthma. This honey is known to soothe mucus membranes found in the airways. Consuming a decent quantity of Strawberry tree honey can also impede mucus buildup in the bronchial tubes, which is known as a major asthma symptom.
6. Strawberry tree honey has varied vitamins and minerals. It contains small amounts of vitamin C, but also iron and many other micronutrients, and macronutrients, including amino acids and simple sugars, all of which directly contribute to good health.
If you want to buy strawberry tree honey check out aimstore.com here you will find strawberry tree honey collected from wild honeybees on Sardinia’s Mediterranean coast.
Some tips to enjoy Strawberry tree honey, you can eat it:
– On its own (for pleasure or health).
– At breakfast, melted over fresh toast with a dab of butter.
– As an appetizer, served with Crispy Pane Carasau and dried/cured meats.
– For dessert, mixed in fresh cheeses such as robiola, ricotta, mascarpone, or yogurt.
And also it is a good idea to make a great gourmet gift for foodies lovers!